Fasiledes preparatory school (formerly called Haile Selassie I,comprehensive secondary school) had been established in 1942 (1934 E.C) during the nergn of emperor Haile Selassie following the end of the fascist occupation in Ethiopia.
As it was seen in many other African countries, the introduction of modern educationin Ethiopia had been a result of the need for the training of skilled personnels to staff thegrowing modern bureaucracy since the time of emperor Menelik II (r.1889-1913) . In particular the interest for the explanation of modern education in Ethiopia become indispensable in the post Adwa period due to the expansionof the more intensive diplomatic relation of Ethiopia with Europe, the expansion of the modern state appartus especially in the early 20th century through the minsteral system and custom a demonstration. However, the pace of the expansionof modern education had a slow progress in the country after the death of Menelik II- This condition had continued until the regent rolsTeferimekonnen emerged as the leading power from the long struggle for succession to the imperial power that the neat step in the next step in the expansion of modern education was taken.
Despitethe introduction of modern education in Ethiopia since the days of emperor Menelik II, it seemed to have affected Gondar very little. In the late 1920s the first modern school was established in the city of Gondar by Emperor Haile Selassie offering primary education for a few hundred students.
The teaching staff consisted of three teachers who were sent by the ministry of education from Addis Ababa. The subject that was tough in school includes Amharic, English, Mathematics, General science and moral education- However the teachers had encountered problems due to the opposition of the clergy and the conservative nobility who were apprehensive and suspicious of losing their children to the new religion as most of them were expatriates.
Later the school was closed due to the fascist invasion of Ethiopia in 1936. The major effect of the war and the fascist occupation in the country was to nip the novel process of modern education in the bud. Besides this had also a significant negative effect in that the school was completely demolished, students and teacherswere dispersed.As a result the educational process in the city of Gondar was suspendedfor five years.
After the liberation from Italian occupation and restoration of the imperial power of emperor Hailesellasie two schools hadbeen opened in the city of Gondar one of them was Haile Selassie I school (now called Fasiledes preparatory school ) established in 1942 (1934 E.C ) in the city of Gondar Gradually the school had expanded and used to teach students from the elementary to the secondary level from year 1942 to 1963.Beginning from 1963 based the regulation of the ministry of Education , the school started teaching students from 7th to 12thgrade.Since the school was the only secondary school in Gondar regions at that time, students who passed the 8th grad national examination, from the different awrajas used to come in order to finish the secondary education in the school.
Furthermore since the 1950s the school become comprehensive secondary whereby both technical and vocational education, Business education, agriculture and academic subjects were given based on the students interest field of study- other than this, according to the provincial Educational office documents, in the school about 242 students who had been recurited to study technical and vocational education from Addis Ababa, showa, wollo, Gondar, Gojjam,Kaffa, Illobabour, wollega, Arsi, Tigray, sidamo and Harrageprovinces had come attend and completed their 9th and 10th grade education in the 1960’5 as boarding school students before the establishment of the technical and vocational school in Addis Ababa. However after the opening of the school in Addis, the students had been transferred and complete 11th and 12th grade in the Addis Ababa.
During the imperial period when we see the composition of the teaching staff members, most of them were expatriates and the number of Ethiopians was very small. Among the expatriated teachers, the largest group were Indians and later in the 1960’s American peacecorpsvolunteers also come to Gondar to teach in the school until 1974.
Since 1965 the university student service /EUSS/ program was started in Ethiopia due to the shortage of teaching staff in the country.senior classes in the university used to give a one year teaching service in the high schools before graduation, and some of them had also taught in the school especially from 1965 to 1974.
Besides in the school students who were unable to continue their education because of financial problem and those students who have scored above 75% in all subjects were used to be given pocket money and educational materials as encouragement. This has continued until the early 1960s and later stopped due to the shortage of budget allocation.
Following the down fall of the emperor in 1974, the Derg regime tookpower, and the name of the school was changed to Fasiledes comprehensive secondary school in 1976 (1969 E.C) In 2001 according to the federal republic of Ethiopia new educational and training policy, the school is organized as preparatory school and used to teach 11th and 12th grade students who are preparing for the universities.
In general since its establishment the school contributed its part in supplying trained man power to the country of which some one honorable, distinguished and highly respected professionals living at home and abroad.